Make a brand new, sheer lip tint from your 'empty' lipstick and lip balm tubes!
I've always loved make-up. As a kid I didn't have much money, so I learned how to stretch out what I had. (Plus, I felt like a mad scientist which I thought was really fun!) I've always liked repurposing and up-cycling and I don't like waste- definitely a trait I picked up from my Depression era grandmother. I'm a good-to-the-last-drop kind of gal.
- An empty lipstick
- An empty (or almost empty) lip balm (any twist-up type)
- A small paper cup or plastic medicine cup
- A paper plate to work over
- Something to stir with. A plastic utensil works well.
- A small knife to scoop out remaining lipstick & lip balm
- A microwave
Give it a try!
It's easy, it eliminates waste, and you get an awesome end product. Using your favorite lipstick guarantees you a perfect, sheer color.
I like to cut the cup in half, so that it's easy to squeeze, creating a little pour spout.
Once it's empty, discard the lipstick tube. You'll be re-filling the empty lip balm tube with the new mixture. (A lipstick tube like in the photo will leak)
Next, do the same with the lip balm. Roll it up all the way up and break it off or scoop out the last bit of it, and add it to the cup as well.
If the little disc at the bottom of the lip balm tube pops out, just place it back on, and hold your finger on it as you twist it back down to the bottom again. Your tube is now ready to refill.
2. Place lipstick and lip balm mix in the microwave.
Mine usually takes about 50 seconds to melt, but all microwaves are different.
Try short bursts of 20-30 seconds at a time so that it doesn't over heat.
Give it enough time to become completely liquified, but don't let it get so hot that it boils!
3. Blend the liquid together until it's well mixed. If it starts to harden, you can pop it back in the microwave for a few more seconds.
4. Next, carefully pour the liquid into the empty lip balm container and let harden. It doesn't take long, but you want to let it cool down completely before capping it.
5. That's it! You've got a new, moisturizing lip tint in your perfect color. You're so crafty, yay!